Monday, September 22, 2014

Lt.Col. William Carpenter Lambert, WWI Ace

From Find-A-Grave.

I came across the man's name while researching Woodland Cemetery in Ironton, Ohio, where Ella Blocksom Johnson is buried.  She is the person for whom the poem that became the famed Civil War song "Lorena" was written.  I have been writing about her and the song in my Civil War blog.  I also found the name of War of 1812 hero Ezra Dean who is also buried there and I have been writing about him in my War of 1812 blog.

WILLIAM CARPENTER LAMBERT (1894-1982)

World War I fighter ace with 22 officially-confirmed air combat victories, the second-highest scoring American fighter pilot, but his victory total is usually omitted from the list of American flying aces because he spent the entire war flying in Britain's famed No. 24 Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps.

His total was second only to Edward Rickenbacker's 26.


No comments: