Saturday, September 20, 2014

9/11: F-16 Pilot Heather Penney Ready to Do the Unthinkable-- Part 5

PARADE:  WHAT WAS YOUR REACTION WHEN YOU LEARNED WHAT THE PASSENGERS ON FLIGHT 93 HAD DONE?

"They were true heroes.  Because of what they did, we didn't have to.  They averted further tragedy, confusion, and chaos and thwarted those who would do our nation harm.

"These were average, everyday Americans who gave their lives to save countless more.  Their selflessness reminds us that we are part of something greater than ourselves, that there are things in this world more important than ourselves."

DO YOU THINK BACK ON THE EVENTS OF 9/11?

"At first I was disgusted by the sensationalism and fearmongering that the media stoked in the wake of 9/11.  It utterly desecrated our nation's experience, and I wanted nothing to do with it.  But when I reflect back now, I think about the many moments of heroism and bravery from everyone whose lives intertwined with the events of that day.

"And I am proud and heartened to know that there truly is nothing unique about what Sass and I did.  All over the country, active duty and reservists responded on 9/11.  If I hadn't been there, another airman would have been, and just as honorably done their duty.  We were not the first and we are not the last."


No comments: