Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Ten Things You Might Not Know About Gaffes-- Part 1

From the August 10, 2014, Chicago Tribune by those intrepid and mighty thorough researchers Mark Jacob and Stephan Benzkofer.  I always look forward to these mighty interesting articles that appear every so often in the Sunday Tribune.

Gaffe:  Open mouth, insert foot.

"Monday marks the 30th anniversary of a major presidential gaffes when Ronald Reagan was joking during a microphone test:  'My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever.  We begin bombing in five minutes.'

"The remark was not broadcast, but it became public, infuriating the Russians.

And the gaffes continue.  Last month, Rep. Curt Clawson, R-Fla. was addressing two U.S. officials who are of Indian descent as if they were officials of the government of India and said: "I am familiar with your country.  I love your country."  He might have added, "I loved 'Slumdog Millionaire."

Of course, I make it a regular habit of saying stupid stuff.

--Cooter


No comments: