Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Babe and Mrs. Ruth in Goldsboro, NC-- Part 2

"'We are taking back almost a car load of game in a refrigerator car out there.  Game that Babe, Bud Fisher and some of Babe's friends killed, and my duck is in the lot,' explainedMrs. Ruth in a soft southern voice.  She was born in Georgia.  "I tyhink I'll have it mounted by a taxidermist, and labeled 'killed by Mrs. George Herman Ruth at Davis, N.C. and give the date.'  Don't you think  that would be a good idea?

"I'm sure it would,' said the Babe.  'I had her in the blinds with me all day, and she held up pretty well.  It's rained ever since she got down here though, and I believe she  brought the rain with her.'

"Ruth, off a few pounds from what he was his last visit to Goldsboro, said he was going to begin indoor training in earnest when he gets back to New York.

"Goldsboro people and admirers of the Bambino  trooped in and out continuously to shake his hand.  Miss Hazel Nasekos presented Mrs. Ruth with a box of flowers."

Mrs. Ruth here was the Babe's second wife, Claire Merritt from Athens, Georgia.

So, the Babe was popular in North Carolina and bit heavier during the off season.

A Chance to Meet the Babe.  --DaCoot

No comments: