Monday, March 10, 2014

Ten Things You Might Not Know About Mascots-- Part 4: Mad's Alfred E. Neuman

From Wikipedia. //// Growing up in my early teenage years, I was a huge fan of Mad Magazine, just the right medium for a young boy's early years. I have since looked at the magazine and was amazed at how sophomoric it was. But, I will still pick one up and go through it any chance I get. Visiting my childhood you know. //// Mad's mascot, picture-boy Alfred E. Neuman, was created by the first Mad Editor Harvey Kurtzmand and named by Mad's second editor, Al Feldstein. //// Kurtzmand first saw him on a postcard pinned to the bulletin board of Ballantine Books editor Bernard Shir-Clift and remembers, "It's a face that didn't have a care in the world except mischief." //// Rarely seen in progile, Alfred has jug ears, a missing front tooth and one eye lower than the other. He was featured on nearly every cover but a few of the magazine's 500 issues. //// Spy vs. Spy and the Folding Back Page in Back. --Cooter

No comments: