Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Wilmington's Robert Taylor Housing-- Part 1


Back on October 8th, in my Tattooed On Your Soul World War II blog, I wrote about the Robert Taylor housing units being built in Wilmington, North Carolina, in 1938. The housing was built for blacks during that segregated period and in anticipation of a critical World War II housing shortage as workers and militarty personnel swarmed into the city.

The name Robert Taylor made me think of Chicago's Robert Taylor Homes which were built for low-income people originally and eventually became most all blacks and developed a myriad of problems. I saw them many times as I drove to Comiskey Park to watch the White Sox play. I thought it to be quite a coincidence that two housing projects were built with the same name, so had to do some research.

It turned out to be quite interesting and introdiced me to two significant men.

Two Robert Taylor Homes? --Cooter

No comments: