Saturday, November 2, 2013

Evansville's Bosse Field-- Part 1


From Wikipedia.

In the last post I mentioned Bosse Field in Evansville, Indiana, as being the baseball diamond used in the film "A League of Their Own" about women's professional baseball during World War II. I'd never heard of it, even though I've been through Evansille many times. I guess I'll have to check it out the next time through.

It was built in 1915 and is the third oldest ball field in the United States (Fenway Park in 1912 and Wrigley Field in 1914, with centennial next year). Since 1995, it has been the home of the Evansville Otters of the Independent Frontier League.

It was named for Evansville Mayor Benjamin Bosse who served 1914-1922. "A League of Their Own" was filmed there in 1991. Of interest, the movie "Hoosiers" also used an athletic facility in Indiana at Knightsville for the high school games.

Never Heard of It. --DaCoot

No comments: