Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Evolution of the PC-- Part 1

From the November 2012 AARP Bulletin. by Betsy Towner.

"Fifty years ago, a computer pioneer said, 'There is no reason to suppose the average boy or girl cannot be master of a personal computer.' Soon after. PCs arrived--and now we grownup boys and girls cannot imagine our lives without them."  Well, I could.  I'd sure have a lot more time to do other things.  Actually, even with computers, I had a lot of time before I began these doggone blogs.

But the idea of being able to do one of my favorite things, research, right from this desk in the basement has been an enjoyable thing for me.

Sadly, the PC's days are definitely numbered.

Anyway, AARP has this on its Power of 50 page and it gives a short chronological history of the personal computer.

1962--   THE LINC (Laboratory Instrument Computer) begins processing data in an MIT lab to assist with biomedical research.  The microcomputer paves the way for PCs.  Before this, computers were really, really huge.

More Typing to Come.  --DaCoot

No comments: