Friday, February 8, 2013

Deaths: Different Strokes-- Ralph the Doorman

CONRAD BAIN, 89

Died Jan. 14th.  Played the wealthy Manhattan widower who raised his housekeeper's kids after she died on "Different Strokes" which ran 1978-1984.  Earlier he had played the conservative neighbor, Dr. Arthur Harmon, who often clashed with "Maude" from 1972 to 1978.

I never watched "Different Strokes" but was a big fan of "Maude."  I knew he looked familiar the few times I did see parts of "Different Strokes."  Mostly, I just couldn't stand that Gary Coleman.


NED WERTIMER, 89

Died Jan January 2nd.    Played the uniformed, mustachioed Ralph the Doorman on the Jeffersons from 1975 to 1985.  He was a Navy pilot during World War II.  Star of the show Sherman Hemsley died July 24, 2012.

I was a big fan of the show and liked how he was always angling for a bonus.  Not as good as "Rhoda's" Carlton, your doorman, though.

No comments: