Monday, October 11, 2010

Ten Things You Might Not Know About Chicago Mayors Not named Daley- Part 4

9. NOT THE FIRST FATHER-SON COMBO-- The Daleys weren't the first father-son dynasty. Carter Harrison served ten years in the 1880s and in the 1890s, son Carter Harrison II ran the city into the 1900s. An experts survey in 1895 rated the Harrisons as the number 2 and number 3 best Chicago mayors behind Richard J. Daley.

10. HAROLD WASHINGTON's, Chicago's first black mayor, parents divorced when he was young, lived with his father. Washington had a way with words and once said: "My father was my role model. He was a real man. He was a good man. For many years, he was not only my father, he was my mother. And so I knew who Santa Claus was. He came home every night, put his feet under the table and had dinner with me."

I Did Some Research on Mayor Levi Boone and Will Write About Him Next. --Cooter

1 comment:

troutbirder said...

Interesting history. I would second you comments about Medal of Honor discrimination esp. in WWII & Korea.