Tuesday, April 14, 2009

We Need a World War I National Memorial in DC

Pamela Wills makes a very good point saying that we need a National World War I Memorial in Washington, DC, preferably somewhere on the mall. At present, there is a World War I memorial there, but it is for the DC veterans of the war. We need one for ALL of these heroes.

The one that exists is for the 499 residents of the District of Columbia and is largely obscured and in need of renovation. It was dedicated November 11, 1931 by President Herbert Hoover and is an open air Doric column edifice 40 feet in diameter.

Representative Ted Poe, (D-Texas) has introduced the Frank Buckles World War I Memorial Act to renovate the DC memorial and to rededicate it 2018 as a national shrine, the 100th anniversary of the end of the war.

My own belief is that another site be found for a much larger memorial and this bill should be pushed through while Mr. Buckles, our last-surviving World War I veteran is still alive, which, unfortunately, won't be much longer.

After all, Korea, Vietnam and World War II already have their memorials.

Let's Do the Right Thing.

No comments: