Thursday, April 16, 2009

AHS Centaur

From Yahoo 7 News April 7th.

When the Australian Hospital Ship Centaur sank, only 64 of the 268 aboard survived. Of the survivors, only three are still alive. Martin Pask, 87, is one of them.

He was interviewed and this is what he had to say. It is a bit confusing though, but a first-hand account nonetheless.

"I was the last one out of the quarters and I got sucked back into the ship's hull. We tried to keep the lifeboats away and couldn't get them away. I left and I said, 'grab something safe until the ship's gone under' and I left and went up to grab the rail on the side of the ship, and before I had the chance to do it, the suction took me down number one hatch. And with the lights on the red crosses illuminating the water, I found my way out from there."

There have been a number of false findings of the wreck over the years. Richard Jones lost an uncle. Jan Thomas lost her father, a doctor.

A search for the wreck is now underway.

First the Sydney, and Now the Centaur. --Cooter

No comments: