Tuesday, May 20, 2008

So, What Makes A Recording Good Enough to Get on the National Recording Registry?

The Library of Congress' National Recording Registry had 25 recordings added to it this past week. I don't know who picks them, or what the criteria is, but, one was the best-selling pop album on earth and another went into space.

Ones I'm familiar with are as follows:

1. First trans-Atlantic broadcast (Mar. 14, 1925)
2. Fibber's closet opens for the first time, "Fibber McGee and Molly" program (Mar. 4, 1940)
3. "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tong Angels"-- Kitty Wells (May 30, 1952)
4. "My Fair Lady," original cast recording (1956)
5. "Oh, Pretty Woman," Roy Orbison (1964)
6. "Tracks of My Tears," Smokey Robinson and the Miracles (1965)
7. "The Sounds of the Earth," disc prepared for the Voyager spacecraft (1977)
8. "Thriller," Michael Jackson (1982)

This Date in History-- 1916-- Norman Rockwell's first Saturday Evening Post cover. I used to put his covers up around the room once every year and introduce my 7th graders to his work.

How about Jimmy Buffett's "My Head Hurts, My Feet Stink, and I Don't Love Jesus?" --Coot

No comments: