Thursday, July 1, 2021

Charles Floyd, Sergeant with Lewis & Clark Expedition

I have been writing about Patrick Gass in my Not So Forgotten:  War of 1812 blog a lot during June.  Patrick Gass was elected sergeant of the Expedition after the death of Charles Floyd.  Like with Gass, I had never heard of Floyd, so Wikipedia, here I come.

From Wikipedia.

CHARLES FLOYD

(1782 - August 20, 1804)

American explorer and non-commissioned officer in the U.S. Army.  He was the quartermaster of the Lewis & Clark Expedition.   It is thought that he might have been related to William Clark.  He was one of the first men to join the expedition and the only one to die on it.

While exploring the Louisiana Purchase land with Lewis and Clark, he took ill near the end of July 1804.  On July 31, Floyd wrote in his diary, "I am very sick and have been for some time but have recovered my health again."

However, this proved a premature diagnosis as he got much worse soon afterwards.  William Clark described Floyd's death as one "with a great deal of composure" and that just before he died, Floyd told Clark, "I am going away.  Please write me a letter."

--Cooter


No comments: