Thursday, May 13, 2021

Remembering 'Papa' Hemingway

From the March 28, 2021 Parade Magazine.

There was a three-part documentary on him on PBS directed by Ken Burns and Lynn Novick.

Some things you may or may not know about him:

**  In Spain, in the 1920s and 1930s, he became fascinated with bullfighting and worked as a journalist covering the Spanish Civil War.  It was here that he picked up the nickname "Papa."

**  Hemingway survived two plane crashes in two days in 1954.  Newspapers reported his death, so he was able to read his own obituary.

**  An expert fisherman, in 1938 he set a world record by catching seven marlins in one day.

**  He was grandfather of two actress-models Margaux and Mariel Hemingway.

**  He wrote the last page of "A Farewell to Arms," based on his experiences in World War I, 39 times.

**  Hemingway loved polydactyl cats (cats having six or more toes on each foot).

One thing I had planned on doing after I retired from teaching was to read all Hemingway's books.  But then I got blogged in as it were.  So, the only one I have read was "The Old Man and the Sea: which I read for English class in high school.

He may or may not have written "The Old Man and the Sea" in Cubero, New Mexico, on Route 66.  See the May 8 post in my RoadDog's RoadLog Blog.

--CootHem


No comments: