Tuesday, March 24, 2020

This Would Not Be the First Time the Olympics Were Cancelled or Delayed-- Part 1: Berlin (1916)


I am hearing that Japan will be delaying the 2020 Olympics until next year.  However, this will not be the first time that this has happened.  It has happened three times in history, all because of war.

One time it was because of World War I in 1916 and twice during World War II in 1940 and 1944.

I will be writing about the World War I cancellation here and the two times in World War II in my Tattooed On Your Soul: World War II blog.

From the March 22, 2020, Chicago Tribune  "Olympics: Groundswell build" by Eddie Pells, AP.

Berlin was set to host the 1916 Summer Olympics (the Winter Games weren't founded until 1924), beating bids by Alexandria, Amsterdam, Brussels, Budapest and Cleveland.

--CootPics

No comments: