Sunday, September 22, 2019

USS Fulton (AS-1)-- Part 3: Service By the Panama Canal


I have been writing about the USS Fultons that have been in the U.S. Navy over the years, starting with the first one at the end of the War of 1812 in my Not So Forgotten blog, the second one which was in the Civil War in my Running the Blockade blog and the third one here in this blog.

There was also a 4th Fulton that served in WW I  and the fifth and last one served in World War II and during the nuclear submarine age.  I'll be writing about the fourth one in this blog and the last one in my WW II blog.

The USS Fulton (AS-1) was the first navy ship specifically built to take care of submarines in 1914 as that branch was growing.

During this time, the Fulton took part in maneuvers and war games  and served as station ship in New London.  In 1923, she was reassigned as a tender to the submarine fleet at Coco Solo, Panama Canal Zone. During he next years, the Fulton took part in exercises off both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts of the canal.  It returned to Philadelphia in 1925, was decommissioned and placed in reserve.

--Cooter

No comments: