Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Ray Boro, USN Korean War Vet-- Part 4: Love That Pensacola and Ray Gets A New One


"I loved my liberty time.  My absolute best liberty was at Pensacola," Ray said smiling.  Pensacola was also his best duty.  "It was like a country club.  But when you got on a ship you find out what the Navy is all about."  He has great memories of those white sand beaches.  A trip to the Pensacola NAS museum is strongly recommended.

One time while he was at Jacksonville NAS and on guard duty at the Flight Line, where the planes were parked, the pilot of his plane came out to take a look at the plane.  Standing orders were that everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY had to gave proper id to be anywhere near that line.  The pilot, a newly commissioned ensign, did not have his and Ray wouldn't let him near the plane.

The pilot said, "You know me."  Ray said, "Yes, but I have to follow orders."  The pilot walked off muttering he'd get Ray back.  There would be payback.  The next day Ray preflighted the plane and everything was alright.  However, the pilot went over the plane with a fine tooth comb and found a speck of a hydraulic leak and that downed the plane for the day.  "Boy did I get in trouble.  The leading chief cut me a new one. Navy Chiefs were like gods."

The pilot was new to the game, but afterwards he and Ray became friends.  Ray says he became one of the better pilots and was good at gunnery, bombing and air-to-air.

--Cooter


No comments: