Friday, November 30, 2018

New York's Fort Wood in World War I


I have been writing about this fort in my Not So Forgotten: War of 1812  and Tattooed On Your Soul: World War II blogs.  This fort is the base of the Statue of Liberty.  You can read more about Fort Wood in these two blogs.  Click on My Blogs to the right of this blog entry.

The fort was built in 1811, and by 1904 being used by one company of Signal Corps troops and a sub depot for Signal Corps material.

On July 30, 1916, there were a series of explosions at the nearby Black Tom Wharf in Hersey City that severely damaged the post and did $100,000 damage to the Statue of Liberty.  These explosions were deemed to be an act of sabotage by German agents, even though the U.S. had not yet joined the war.  This is another reason that led to the U.S. entering the war in 1917.

During World War I, Fort Wood was used as a coastal defense fort and supply depot.

--DaCoot

No comments: