Thursday, August 17, 2017

Marines Came of Age in WW I-- Part 6: A National WW I Memorial in D.C.!!

While Marines can proudly sing of the halls of Montezuma and the shores of Tripoli, in many ways, the Marine Corps became the fighting force it is today because of the grueling combat they experienced at Belleau Wood.

The World War I Centennial Commission was created by Congress to preserve and promote such stories.  The commission was also authorized to create the new National World War I Memorial in Washington, D.C., to commemorate those who served during that global war, a tribute long overdue.

I am sure glad to find out that there is going to be a National World War I Memorial in D.C..  But I wish they had done it while we had the last veteran of that war alive, Frank Buckles.

--DaCoot

No comments: