Friday, November 13, 2015

A Band of Brothers and Sisters-- Part 5: The American Legion

The idea for forming the American Legion came from a group of officers serving in the American Expeditionary Forces in France during World War I.  The AEF leadership was looking for ways to boost morale and approached the group of officers for suggestions.

One of the officers, Lieutenant Colonel Theodore Roosevelt Jr., suggested an organization of veterans.  The idea was widely accepted and the first meeting was held in March 1919 in Paris and was chartered by Congress in September 1919.

There are currently 2.3 million members.

My grandfather on my mother's side was a World War I veteran and one of the earliest members of the American Legion.  I am a member of the American Legion's Sons of the American Legion Fox Lake Post 703 because of him.


No comments: