Friday, October 2, 2015

30 Things You May Not Have Realized About Coffee-- Part 1: But, Is It Good for You?

National Coffee Day was this past Tuesday, September 29th.  I know I drank my usual cup to celebrate it.  More than half of all American adults drink the stuff every day.  My wife Liz doesn't, so I get it ALL!! around here.

From the September 29, 2015, Yahoo! Health.

1.  U.S. adults average 3.1 cups a day.

2.  Most, 65%, have it with breakfast, 30% have it between meals and just 5% with another meal.

3.  On Average, Americans spend $20 a week on coffee, or $1,092 a year.  And then there are those who drink at Starbucks.  I'd hate to think how much they spend.

4.  Average cost of a cup of joe is $1.38.

5.  Coffee comes from the coffee tree.  (I always thought it was a bush.

6.  Tribes in East Africa had an early version of the energy bar by mixing coffee berries with animal fat.

7.  Arabica and robusta are the two main varieties of coffee.  Arabica makes up 70% of the world's coffee.

8.  Coffee trees grow best in the :"Bean Belt."  This is land around the world closest to the equator.

9.  Coffee breath is caused by caffeine (which reduces saliva) and acidity (which promotes bacteria.  Maybe start calling it bacteria breath?

--CootCoffer

No comments: