Saturday, July 4, 2015

Think Beyond BBQ on This Fourth-- Part 2: A Slave's Story

Not everyone rejoiced this date 239 years ago.  It was a gamble many didn't want to take.  Britain would consider the Declaration of Independence and all its supporters as being guilty of treason, punishable by death.  Others wanted to stay with Britain.

Jehu Grant was a slave and the declaration was written by a slaveholder.  Yet he heard something in Thomas Jefferson's words that weren't intended for him:  "Songs of liberty that saluted my ear, thrilled my heart," Grant said in his petition.  "These considerations induced me to enlist in the American army, where I served faithful about ten months, when my master found me and took me home."

Later he purchased his freedom and unsuccessfully applied for his pension.

No comments: