Monday, June 8, 2015

McHenry Honors Its Vietnam Dead

From the Nov. 11, 2014, Northwest herald (McHeny County, Illinois) "City honors McHenry High School grads killed in Vietnam with memorial" by Jeff Engelhardt.

Richard Phannenstill, McHeny High Class of 1964, went off to war with three classmates who never came back.  Later, a member of the Class of 1967 was also killed.

Work on this memorial started 14 years ago.

Hundreds gathered in the miserable drizzle and cold to witness the dedication of the memorial.  I know, I was there.  O wouldn't have missed it.  This was my generation's war and I sure came close to going myself.

We honored:
John Granath, Jr., 20
Carter Freund, 22
Glenn Davis, 22
James Ambrose, 23

Members of their families unveiled the marker at Veterans Park.

Freedom Doesn't Come Cheap

No comments: