Monday, June 14, 2010

Thinking About Heading to Seneca, Illinois, Saturday

I came across the announcement that this city was was having the Seneca Shipyard Days Festival June 16th to 19th.

They will be celebrating their World War II heritage when many LSTs (Landing Ship Tank) ships were launched from 1942 to 1945. These ships provided a valuable service for the US war effort. I have really become interested in these vessels since I toured the one home ported in Evansville, Indiana back in March.

They will have bands, food booths, arts and crafts and a carnival midway.

I figure it is about a two to three hour drive away from here.

Until I read this, I didn't know any LSTs were built in Illinois. Once launched, these ships went down the Illinois River to the Mississippi.

Last month, I wrote about World War II submarines that were built in Manitowac, Wisconsin.

But, then again, we just got back from a 1, 249 mile, six day Midwest jaunt that went through three states and a considerable drive along Route 66. And next week, i will be at the Lincoln Highway National Conference in Dixon, Illinois five days.

Seriously Considering a Trip. --Cooter

No comments: