Friday, May 8, 2009

USS Pyro (AE-1)

I'd never heard of the USS Pyro in the entry earlier today, so went to good old Wikipedia.

The USS Pyro was the lead ship of her class of ammunition ships built from 1919 to 1946.

It was laid down at the Navy Yard in Puget Sound, Washington, in 1919 and commissioned 10 August 1920. After four years service, it was decommissioned in 1924 and recommissioned in 1939 as part of America's build up for World War II.

It was moored at West Loch in Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941, when the Japanese attacked. It received no serious damage, but at least one close call. It is credited with shooting down a Japanese plane.

Four days later, the Pyro left for San Francisco for ammunition. It participated in operations in the Pacific for the remainder of the war and was sold for scrap in 1946.

The second ship of the class was called the USS Nitro. Explosive names.

3 comments:

Blog said...

I served as an MM2 on the USS Pyro AE-24 from the late 80s to early 90s and was actually in the first groups of women when we were first allowed on the ship. I'm a chair member of the Pyro Association, we have annual reunions for both ships (the AE-1 and AE-24) combined and pleased to say that our last known living Pearl Harbor survivor and last known living WWII survivor (both in their 90s) are still attending/traveling to our reunions. Best yet? I get to have the first dance with our Pearl Harbor survivor each year ♥

RoadDog said...

That is great news about the last remaining Pearl Harbor and World War II members of the ship's crew still attending the reunions.

So, there was a second USS Pyro.

Blog said...

Yes, there sure was! I apologize as I just noticed I made a typo in my initial post... I was a MM3, NOT a MM2.