Saturday, March 7, 2009

George Lawley & Sons-- Shipbuilder of Yachts and Naval Craft

George Layley & Sons Shipbuilders operated in the Boston area starting in 1866 until 1945 when the yard closed. They occupied three different locations along in the Neponset part of Boston along the Neponset River.

Two of their yachts, the Satilla and Orca were acquired by the US Navy in World War I. Their Charles J. Ashley was converted into the USS Blue Jay for service as a coastal minesweeper because the German U-Boats often set mines along the Atlantic coast.

I came across an extensive list of ships the company built. The PC-1084 was not included, but the PC-461, the name of the class of submarine chasers was.

I will go into details of both World War I and World War II Naval and Army construction with my next entry.

I Had Never Heard of This Shipbuilder. --Cooter

No comments: