Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Last World War I Vet Wants a Real National Memorial

From CNN, Sept. 9th, Frank Buckles, 107, the last-known US World War I veteran came to Washington, DC, Tuesday hoping to get a national World War I memorial to his departed comrades. After all, there are ones for theKorean War, Vietnam War, and now, World War II.

Texas Representative Ted Poe has introduced the Frank Buckles World War I Act, to renovate and expand the existing WW I memorial. Estimates are for $1 miilion to do it. The current gazebo-style one is not a national one, but honors the 500 World War I veterans from DC.

This is also supported by the DC Preservation League and the World War I Memorial Foundation.

They say that in the summer, you almost can't see the current memorial for the foliage.

A National World War I Memeorial on the mall would be a great parting thank you for Mr. Buckles and his generation.

My grandfathers were in World War I as was a great-uncle.

No comments: