Sunday, January 20, 2008

White Castle Burgers

Boy, I love those White Castle burgers, aka Sliders. Like they say, ya gotta crave.

As a matter of fact, last night, on my way home from the Lee-Jackson Sons of Confederate Veterans celebration, I stopped off in Mundelein and ate two and bought ten home. Liz would not allow me in the house if she knew I went by a White Castle and didn't get her any.

It used to be that in the Chicago area, you had to go to the city to get your fix, but now we have some out in the 'burbs. We have one on Il-60 by Mundelein/Ivahoe, one by Gurnee Mills in Gurnee, and one in Kenosha, Wisconsin, just over the Illinois border.

It now costs 53 cents for a slider, up from the original nickel. I always doctor mine up with extra pickles (spread evenly over the meat), the special mustard, and salt. It has to be just so.

The company started in 1921. They used to just stick with burgers, but now have expanded to include chicken, Southern-style sweet tea, and recently, they even had sweet potato fries. Now, that is some good eatin'.

Down south, they have Krystals, but they're no match for a greasy slider.

Before they came out here, we often ate at the one on Addison on our way to Wrigley Field to see the Cubs play. Back then, I liked to wash them down with their tart orange drink. Now, I like the grape drink. We also used to stop at the White Castle in Merrillville, Indiana, when we drove south to visit family.

Nothin' Like a Slider. --The Old Coot

No comments: