Tuesday, December 25, 2007

This is What Made Me a History Nut

Today marks the 143rd anniversary of the end of a Civil War battle that got me interested in history.

The First Battle of Fort Fisher, NC, took place on Christmas Eve and Day 1864. The first battle featured one of the biggest naval bombardments ever until the Second Battle of Fort Fisher took place 19 days later. The first battle ended as a Confederate victory. The port of Wilmington, NC, remained open as a destination for blockade runners carrying in the desperately needed supplies to Lee's army.

My dad took me to the fort when I was in second grade and told me it was fought between the north and the south. I figured we were on the north's side since we lived in North Carolina and North America. My dad patiently explained the situation to me.

After that, I read everything I could get my hands on about the Civil War. Then, three years later, we had the centennial of the war, and I was hopelessly hooked. I even decided to become a history teacher because of it. I taught geography and history for 33 years in Round Lake, Illinois.

I must admit that I have somewhat become disinterested in the war, but since I started my Civil War blog, "Saw the Elephant." I've reinvigorated my interest.

http://sawtheelephant.blogspot.com.

Funny How Something Can Have an Impact on Your Whole Life. --Cooter

No comments: