Thursday, September 19, 2019

USS Fulton (AS-1)-- Part 1: The Third USS Fulton 1914-1934


From Wikipedia.

I have been writing about the first USS Fulton in my Not So Forgotten: War of 1812 blog.  It was originally named USS Demologos and was designed by Robert Fulton.  When he died, the name was changed in his honor.  It did not see much service.

The second USS Fulton was launched in 1837 and was destroyed during the Civil War and I am writing about that in my Running the Blockade: Civil War Naval Blog.

Well, this i the third USS Fulton, so I figured to go ahead and write about it in my Cooter's History Thing blog, so here goes.

The USS Fulton (AS-1) was a submarine tender launched in 1914 in the early years of the submarine service.  It was reclassified as a gunboat (PG-49) in 1930 and decommissioned in 1934.  It was teh first U.S. Navy ship designed specifically for tending to submarines.

--Cooter

No comments: