Friday, September 13, 2019

Baseball's Bob "Hurricane" Hazle-- Part 1: 1957 Milwaukee Braves


While going over a post on my August 21, 2007, Down Da Road I Go blog, I came across a mention of this baseball player who had an interesting nickname and had one unbelievable major league baseball career after being called up from the minors by the 1957 Milwaukee Braves and helping them get to the World Series.

I was talking with another Milwaukee Brewer fan at the Kenosha County Fair in Wilmont, Wisconsin.  I back the Brewers if they are not playing my 2nd favorite MLB team, the Chicago Cubs, or favorite one, the Chicago White Sox.  I didn't get interested in baseball until around 1964 and so didn't know anything about the Milwaukee Braves (before they moved to Atlanta and after they moved from Boston), other than some of their key players like Warren Spahn, Eddie Matthews and Hank Aaron.

I was looking at the 1957 Milwaukee Braves team roster on Wikipedia, and there were actually quite a few players I had heard of before.  Here are the players I had heard of before:

Del Crandall
Red Schoendienst
Del Rice
Joe Adcock
Bob Buhl
Frank Torre (Well, older brother of Joe Torre.)
Lew Burdette  (Buhl and Burdette from their time with the Cubs.)
Juan Pizarro  (From his time with the White Sox.)
Wes Covington
Andy Pafko

Lots of History Here.  --Cooter

No comments: