Saturday, April 27, 2024

About Those Poinsettia Plants (Not Just for Christmas)

I have two poinsettia plants that are fifteen years old and also one I bought this last Christmas which has survived.  I have no luck with buying the real small ones as they always die on me, but when I do buy a bigger one they are much more likely to survive.

I put them outside on the front porch by the door (with a northern exposure that does get some early morning sun) and, of course, bring them in for the winter and keep them by windows with a southern exposure. The two old ones get some red leaves but not as splashy as the ones you buy at the store.  Their stems are quite woody now.

A will put them back outside in five weeks.  By then, they have lost many of their green leaves, but as soon as they get outside they fill out nicely and even bloom red a little.

Over the next several blog entries I will write about their origins.

--DaCootia


No comments: