Saturday, August 18, 2012

Andy Griffith's Life-- Part 1

From the September 18, 20111, Mayberry Confidential.

Last month, I drove through Mt. Airy, North Carolina, on my way to a visit with family in the state.  I was all set to enjoy one of those fantastic pork chop sandwiches from Snappy Lunch on Main Street, but was greatly disappoined to find the place closed for the week.

I was interested in seeing how the town was treating Andy Griffith's recent death.  There wasn't much.  One store had a giant card for people to sign and the TV Land stuatue by the Andy griffith Playhouse had flowers, but that was all I could find.

I did pick up this pamphlet thinking it would have something about his death until I saw the date.

However, it did have a chronology of his life so will pick out some dates and write about them:

JUNE 1, 1926--  Born in Mt. Airy.  Named Andy Samuel Griffith.

MAY 30, 1944--  Graduated from Mount Airy High School.

JUNE 1949--  Graduated from the University of North Carolina with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Music.

1949-1952--  Worked as a music and drama teacher at Goldsboro (NC) High School.  (Hey, I was living in Goldsboro at the time, but don't remember him as I was born in 1951.)

More to Come.  --Cooter

No comments: