Tuesday, May 16, 2017

New Hanover County's Role in World War I-- Part 1

As I mentioned in the last post, I was able to attend the Federal Point Preservation Society's January meeting in Carolina Beach, N.C., at their History Center.

Dr. Jan Davidson of the Cape Fear Museum in Wilmington, N.C., gave the presentation "Service, Sacrifice & Memorialization: New Hanover County Residents in World War I."

The Society plans to have an exhibit at the museum for the 100th anniversary of World War I and plan to have it up by April.  The group was looking for someone to make a presentation on the war and couldn't have done any better as Dr. Davidson got her PhD on World War I.

Fort Caswell, by Southport, near the mouth of the Cape Fear River, was actually an  military base in World War I.

There was a World War I Memorial honoring New Hanover High School students who fought in the war located in front of the high school which has now been moved to Wilmington's Riverfront.

--Cooter

No comments: