Monday, July 4, 2011

The Last Vietnam Draftee Retires from...THE ARMY!!

From Yahoo! News by Kimberly Hefling.

Command Sergeant Major Jeff Mellinger didn't enter the service of his own accord, he was drafted, but, evidently, he did find a home, for 39 years.

He was drafted from his home in Eugene, Oregon, in 1972, to fight in the Vietnam War, and according to the Army, he is the last draftee of that era to retire from the service.

Most draftees did their two year stint and then left. Had I been drafted, which I almost was, that is what I would have done. As a matter of fact I so much did not want to be drafted, I joined the Marines. With a draft lottery number of 22 and a 1-A rating, I was sure to go.

The war was winding down by then and Mellinger found himself assigned to an office in Germany. he soon left that to join the Rangers and during his time in that part of the Army, made over 3,700 parachute jumps, one of which seriously injured him.

On 9-11, he was sent to Ground Zero in New York City.

More recently, he was the top enlisted soldier in Iraq and survived 27 roadside bombings.

Mt Congratulations to Command Sergeant Major Mellinger on a Job Well Done!!

No comments: