Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Who Was This Cunton Rossette Glidden From DeKalb County?


Yesterday I wrote about four men from DeKalb County going off to World War I.  I decided to look around the web to see if they survived.  Of course, they were going to a training camp in mid August 1918 so it is unlikely they ever even got out of the United States as the war ended three months later.

But, while I was looking at a list of Gold Star families for DeKalb County in World War I and following wars (in which I did not find their names) I did come across a very famous name in DeKalb, the name Glidden.  Joseph Glidden is credited with being one of the inventors of barbed wire and lived in DeKalb, Illinois.

Before I go on any further, I should say that a Gold Star is given to families of those who give their lives in war.

The name I saw was given as Cunton Rossette Glidden.  I knew there was a Clinton Rosette Middle School in DeKalb (where I  did observation and some teaching while at NIU).

Well, perhaps the Cunton was a misspelling of Clinton and Rossette was actually Rosette.

Got me To Wondering.  --Cooter


No comments: