Thursday, September 15, 2011

Mom's Life-- Part 2

I had a happy childhood. Nora Stevens was my nurse and she enjoyed taking me to Herman Park, which is across the street, to show me off to the other people there.

Mother said her father, David Maybury Prince (who lived with them) enjoyed pushing me in my carriage. My dog, Boots, a white comrade collie, was my watch dog. One day I watched Boots go under the chairs on the front porch (lined up to keep her from leaving it), so I followed her over to the park.

Mother and Daddy enrolled me on the Cradle Roll Department at the First Baptist Church in downtown Goldsboro. I was active in the church and went to Sunday School, and Sunbeams and Girls Auxiliary. My teen years were enjoyable with Sunday night suppers.

A.J. Smith was the only pastor we had during my early years. he lived in the parsonage on Walnut Street.

Some of my memories of childhood were going to Grandmother and Grandfather Hood's home in Grantham on Sunday afternoons. Grandmother cooked the best battered chicken and fried pies on her wood stove. Billy and I would be invited to the dining room to eat.

More to Come.

No comments: