Saturday, June 2, 2018

84th Infantry Division: Went Overseas But Saw No Action in World War I


I have been writing about two Indiana World War II veterans who fought in this division in my Tattooed On Your Soul World War II blog the last four days.  You can view it by clicking on My Blog List.

From Wikipedia.

During World War I, men enlisting from the states of Illinois, Wisconsin and Kentucky were put into this new division, established in 1917.  They ere organized at Camp Taylor in Kentucky.  because of their being from those states, they chose the nickname "Railsplitters" in honor of Abraham Lincoln (and designed the distinctive patch).

They remained in training at Camp Taylor until August 1918 and deployed to France where the units would be used for replacements and would be sent to the Western Front.  The war ended with the 84th seeing no combat.

They returned to the United States and the unit was deactivated in January 1919.

--Cooter

No comments: